Friday 21 February 2014

Critical Evaluation of Front Cover, Second Draft

I am not completely happy with the way this draft has turned out. However with the help of the feedback I received from my hot desk activity and with some of my own new ideas I can definitely improve on the areas in which I am not happy.
Firstly I dislike the emptiness off the page, it definitely needs more cover lines, puffs and maybe a few smaller images and more variation in the style of these additions, to make it more aesthetically pleasing therefore more attention grabbing.
I also dislike the main image, it isn't as interesting as I had hoped when I planned the photo shoot based on the photography work of Terry Richardson. So I could take some new photos or edit the image in Photoshop. From my hot desk task I was advised that the image looks obviously Photoshopped which is something I can retouch for my final draft.  The background colour is from grey because it is the colour of the background in the photograph and I think it needs changing because it is quite dull.

I am happy with the top third of the front cover with things such as the masthead, skyline and the date and price. I think these aspects of the page comply with magazine conventions and look professional, it fits the genre of mainstream music magazine and is similar to most other mainstream magazine's top third.
I also like the puffs, they are a bright colour and stand out and I like the way the font is a different size on each line of the circle to fill as much empty yellow space as the text can. However i feel that the puffs make the page look strange as there is little else on the page at all and especially little else that is bright coloured apart from the masthead.

No comments:

Post a Comment